Monday, February 28, 2011

THANK GOD for the nice people left in this world.

So I recently have been consumed with my new job at Octagon Hair and Spa and have had zero time to write. I worked there as an associate right out of beauty school training to become a hair stylist for that particular salon but then ended up going away to college. So here I am back in my stomping grounds.. 


Except this time I am working up front at the desk and also getting my feet wet in the salon's makeup section! All very exciting things....Now anyone that knows me KNOWS that me and numbers DO NOT blend well. A huge part of the front desk is to count the register drawers(which involves money...DUH!) and obviously handling money. Now I am not dumb but counting money or dealing with money is not my strongest skill. And that was proven today.....Now I am still learning the ropes of the front desk... all the sales and gift certificates and other new things that they have added since I last worked there, so I keep telling myself that you can only learn from your mistakes but it still sucks making them. 
A client came up to the register to check out. She had, had three different services, with three different employees. Which meant she wanted to tip each of them individually. She ended up handing me two gift cards that she had and came out of it with some spare change. The lady didn't want to have the extra money on her gift card so asked if she could possibly use that towards the tips for the employees she had seen today. Unfortunately at our salon we cannot do that and the money on the gift card has to be used for either a service or a product value. She understood completely and proceeded to buy some product. Now she is adding product onto the check which then left her owing me more money than before. She decided to pay using a credit card. The computer did not add the tip into the order like it normally does with everyone else. So it made it a lot more complicated on me and made me have to try and figure out how much change the lady needed in order to leave a tip for the clients... Well again... me and numbers yeah we aren't friends. The lady waited patiently for me to try and figure everything out. The gift card wasn't going into the computer properly and things were just getting really frustrating and I am a little embarrassed because this had never happened before.. I had been working all day and have worked at the desk before and everything has always been fine, this time was a little different. Probably sensing my frustration the lady quietly said It is okay and that she has plenty of time and to take my time. She also added that she has worked at a bank before and how she dealt with money and computer issues.( WHICH TOTALLY HELPED). It was nice to hear her say that because it calmed me down and made me think clearer. I definitely got everything done and had her on her way.


I realize unless you have been in my position you have NO idea what any of this means but the moral of me telling you all of this is that there are still nice people in this world and how refreshing it was to have someone understand my position and be patient with me.
So kudos to the nice people of the world you really do make peoples days by just a few simple words of encouragement SO KEEP IT UP!

No comments:

Post a Comment